Custom fields give you a lot of options from sorting tickets, to segmenting your analytics data, to getting more information from customers. So how do you set up custom fields, and what are some different ways to use them?
How do I Set Up and Manage Custom Fields?
Click on "Settings" in the top right corner of the Admin Console → Choose "General" in the drop down menu → On the new page choose "Ticket Fields, queues, and rules" then → "Ticket Fields".
You'll see several options for existing fields...
- Reorder: Changes the order of the custom fields. This will affect how they're displayed on the contact form.
- Edit: This is if you want to change something on a current custom field. Note: this will affect past tickets that have this field.
- Disable: Turns off the field, instead of deleting it. Deleting a custom field will remove it from past tickets.
You'll also see the option to "Add a new custom field..."
What Are my Options When Creating a Custom Field?
What are your options with custom fields and how do they work?
- Label: This not only shows what the custom field is about, but will also be placeholder text if the field is visible to customers.
- Description: This is for your reference, and isn't visible to end users.
- Read Only: This is if you want to pass custom data through the Widget. The customer doesn't see it. Learn more about passing custom data through the Widget.
- Text Input: This means the user can type in their answer. So it might be something like, "What's your favorite part of our site?" or "how soon do you need a response?"
- Select Drop Down: This option means you create a list of predefined values for the user to choose from. When you select this option, you'll be walked through the process of creating a list of answers users can choose from.
- Display Field on Contact Forms (Widgets): Choose this option if you want end users to see and fill out the custom field. (Note: Right now it's not possible to have different custom fields show on different Widgets. There is an idea on our Forum about adding this feature. You can add your thoughts (and votes) to the discussion here.)
- Required Field: This means a user has to fill out the custom field before they can submit the ticket. This feature is only available for end users submitting tickets. You can't require Admins to fill out a custom field at this time.
- Delete: This will not only remove the custom field from the contact form, but also, from all past tickets. It cannot be undone. You can alternately choose to just "disable" the field.
How do I Use Custom Fields
Okay, so now you have a couple custom fields set up, but how can you actually use them? The obvious answer is to gather more data from your customers, but you have a lot more options than just that.
- Sort Tickets: You can search for tickets by custom field. So for example you can create a custom field "Priority" with a value of "High." You could then search "priority":"high" to view all tickets with that label. Check out this article for more cool tips on how to search and sort tickets.
- Apply Rules: You can also use custom fields to apply rules to incoming tickets. This is especially helpful if you require users to choose a custom field. So if the Country:France was chosen, you could assign the ticket or send a specific auto response. Check out this article on how to create and use rules for incoming tickets.
- Gather Analytics Data: In your Helpdesk Analytics Report you can view data for custom fields. This allows you to get an overview of the type of support requests you're receiving, whether you're following priority, type or even product area. This works with custom fields that are visible to users and fields that only Admins see.
Can I Create Custom Fields for Ideas?
Right now custom fields are only supported for tickets. You can't use custom fields for ideas. However, we do have a suggestion on our Forum about adding this feature. You can vote for and add your comments to the idea on our Forum.
Other Knowledge Base Articles You Might Enjoy:
- How to create rules for incoming tickets?
- How do I search for and sort through tickets?
- How do I pass custom data through the Widget?