I suggest you ...

Make forum URLs simpler

Current forum URLs are really ugly, meaning it's very difficult for me to say "please leave us feedback at [URL]" because I can't remember the URL. Would be nice if the URLs were more like "subdomain.uservoice.com/iphone" or "subdomain.uservoice.com/forums/iphone".

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Albina FaheyAlbina Fahey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mozelle ColeMozelle Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd still love to see this, simply from an SEO perspective. There's too much good support content on our knowledgebase to not be leveraging it to hopefully drive traffic to our subdomain.

In answer to Evan & Carter's questions:

1) It would need to be an actual rewrite rule - not a redirect. For SEO purposes, we're talking best practices here.

& 2)
        i) For SEO and user experience.
        ii) Any forum topic, or knowledgebase article.
        iii) It all depends on the user. Would be nice if we could rewrite portions of the URL 'slug' based on different forums/topics. So for instance, for 2 different 'FAQ' articles in the topics 'iPhone App' and 'Web App', it would be helpful to see the URLs:

support.mydomain.com/iphone/faq
        &
        support.mydomain.com/web/faq

IOW, users could rewrite all articles under the topic 'iPhone App' to live in the /iphone/ directory, and then rewrite the URL of each individual article to be 'faq', or 'how-to-change-my-url'.

• Damon PfannerstillDamon Pfannerstill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the recommendation to do what WordPress do (I.e. generate a standard URL based on the heading with the option to customise the URL)

• Kailey ReingerKailey Reinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Redirects to ugly urls are not a good plan.

Stackoverflow's urls are the model to follow

-a
        Www.adamcogan.com

• Eva HarrisEva Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that URLs should be configurable. However, just more SEO friendly (ie, no numbers) URLs would be ideal.

The only reason I can imagine for UserVoice's hesitancy for implementing this is database performance or security reasons, which truly should be a non-issue. This is what database indexes and well-formed (and escaped) queries are for.

The only other potential issue I can think of is forum renames, which could be very easily automatically redirected if a log of renames were kept and checked on a miss.

• Gerson EffertzGerson Effertz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to set the URL like I can in WordPress. Or at least have the url created be based on the page title.

• Santos HickleSantos Hickle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to create shorter URLs for certain specific pages that will be marketed in other places, for example on the (printed) welcome letter that goes out with our physical product delivery. Like this: "Please find the getting started guide on mydomain.uservoice.com/gettingstarted"
        Now it would be something like http://mydomain.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/13079-getting-started-guide, which is not that nice to ask people to type in...

• Giles MurrayGiles Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just use an urlshortener. Why expect Uservoice to replicate existing commonly-available functionality?

• Jerrold GottliebJerrold Gottlieb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evan, I think the idea of a "default forum" is in many cases meaningless. E.g. I have a few equally important products, each with a feedback forum, how do I choose a default?

• Genoveva JacobsGenoveva Jacobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to put a URL up on the screen in front of 3,000 people. I'd prefer it be my domain. It's mostly needed for the default forum but sometimes have multiple events running.

Feedback and Knowledge Base